The scenic beaches and beautiful ocean vistas of Los Angeles perfectly complement the active boating and yachting scene.
For those interested in joining their fellow sailors, accessing a fleet of boats without having to own one, or become part of an exclusive yacht club can refer to our research below.
Although Los Angeles doesn’t have a lot of local “boat clubs”, it is famous for its many yacht clubs, national boating clubs, and boat groups! The boating culture in LA is rich and full of amazing events and communities to choose from!
We’ve gathered information on some of Los Angeles’ most popular boat clubs and yacht clubs for your convenience below.
Let’s get started!
Carefree Boat Club – Marina del Rey
This experienced franchise-based boat club has a conveniently located club in Los Angeles, based in the famous marina known as Marina del Rey.
This scenic marina is within walking distance of many restaurants and activities. Carefree Boat Club maintains a sizeable fleet at this marina for its members to use and enjoy throughout the season.
As with most traditional boat clubs, Carefree focuses on providing its members with excellent sailing experience, minus all of the hassles of owning your boat.
- Located conveniently, with LAX, Venice Beach, and Santa Monica all within half an hour
- The fleet includes luxury bowriders, center consoles, and performance cruisers
- Members have unlimited access to the fleet using the reservation system
- Marina del Rey is one of LA’s most popular marinas and therefore quite busy
- The fleet is well-maintained but does not have the diversity of boat types of other clubs
Freedom Boat Club – Los Angeles
Freedom Boat Club is known as one of the premier boat club franchises, and its Los Angeles club location has many of the features that make this reputation possible.
The San Pedro location at the Cabrillo Way Marina is located close to the panoramic Catalina Island, a popular getaway for generations of sailors.
With a fleet that cycles new boats every few years, there are a variety of ways to get away for the weekend, using the club’s simple online reservation system.
Freedom Boat Club gives members access to boats that can be taken directly out on the water, with no need to add gas or maintain them. This convenience is at the core of the Freedom Boat Club franchise.
- The fleet has a sport cabin boat, center consoles, and paddleboards for member use
- As a Freedom Boat Club member, you will have access to locations across the country
- This club is closed on Tuesdays, but the nearby Huntington Beach club is open
- The San Pedro location’s fleet does not have a boat rated for larger groups (9+ people)
- Due to the heavy boat traffic at the club location, all members must receive local training
Los Angeles Yacht Club
Since 1901, the Los Angeles Yacht Club has been promoting fellowship and passion among the sailing community in and around Southern California. Located in San Pedro, the club offers a variety of amenities both inside and outside the clubhouse.
The clubhouse features a full bar, library, dining, and beautiful decorations and scenery.
This yacht club is unique in that even sailors with little experience or without a boat can join and access the club’s small fleet of vessels.
This makes Los Angeles Yacht Club an option for those looking to take their first step into the world of yachting.
- Different memberships are offered for different needs (such as not owning a boat)
- The club features a lively social scene and member-only events throughout the month
- Los Angeles Yacht Club is known for their experience managing and organizing races
- Membership is invitation-only and requires sponsorship by a member of good standing
- May not fit the needs of those looking for a casual or low-commitment club
Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club
For more than 75 years and counting, Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club has been raising the bar what’s possible while sailing the waters of Southern California. Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club is a great place to feel the local grandeur that Los Angeles has to offer!
With a clubhouse overlooking the bustling LA Harbor and within a short distance of Catalina Island, this club is ideally situated for the sailor looking to experience the beauty and culture of LA’s sailing community.
This exclusive members-only club is known for its commitment to racing, yachting, and above all, having a good time.
The tight-knit community within this club shares a genuine love of yachting and regularly looks for new members to join their ranks.
- Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club supports a thriving Junior Sailing program
- Cruises and races are regularly scheduled and open to all club members
- The clubhouse is conveniently located within the distance of many museums and restaurants
- This club may not be suited for those looking for casual or non-community sailing
- The club mainly focuses on yachts and larger vessels rather than small cruising boats
SailTime Los Angeles
SailTime is a unique boating club that uses a fractional membership system. Like many other boat clubs, this club charges a monthly fee to access its fleet.
However, members are given access to one boat, that they can then become familiar with. While this may feel like you are missing out on the entire fleet, having one boat to call your own may be the appeal you are looking for!
This style of membership ensures that all club members feel invested in the ship they take out on the water, therefore taking better care of it, while also helping members feel more comfortable and at home in their boat.
- There are three locations around LA: San Pedro, Marina del Rey, and the Channel Islands
- A flat monthly fee and annual membership discounts keep this club’s fees simple
- SailTime offers sailing training accredited by the American Sailing Association
- Members are restricted to one boat, rather than having access to the entire fleet
- Other members will have access to your boat if you enroll in the Owner program
Del Rey Yacht Club
Del Rey Yacht Club operates at one of the most scenic marinas in Los Angeles and is known for its friendly members and great amenities.
Established in 1953, the Del Rey Yacht Club has been bringing excellence to the Southern California yachting scene for over fifty years.
One core aspect of the club is its focus on member-based activities.
Additionally, the club supports many experiences, such as a junior sailing program, racing events, and fine dining.
- There are several different memberships to suit each member’s needs
- An active racing and social event calendar give members plenty to do
- The club holds seminars and training to help actively educate their members
- For those looking to sail or cruise small boats, this club may not serve your needs
- The Del Rey Yacht Club is very exclusive
California Yacht Club
California Yacht Club is a family-friendly club filled with activities, a small fleet of boats for member use, and fine dining and social events to keep the whole family entertained.
From rowing to the active junior program, there’s something for the entire family to do in the clubhouse located in Marina del Rey.
Out on the water, the club supports regattas and recreational sailing.
- California Yacht Club has a reciprocal list with more than 800 clubs internationally
- Members have access to facilities at the clubhouse and Los Angeles Athletic Club
- Activities year-round are held for all ages, from swimming lessons to banquet dinners
- As a larger yacht club with public events, it may not feel as exclusive as other clubs
- The clubhouse is not open on Mondays or Tuesdays
Final Thoughts on Los Angeles Boat Clubs
The boating community around Los Angeles is exceptionally active, and the number of boating and yachting clubs available to join is a testament to that.
Whether you’re new to boating or an experienced sailor, there are boat clubs tailored to your needs. From fine dining to regattas, the boat and yacht club scene has plenty to offer.
For those looking to access a wide variety of vessels, a boat club will provide regular access to well-maintained boats. Club wide activities are often the secondary focus of boat clubs, and Los Angeles’ boat clubs are no different.
For experienced sailors looking for an exclusive atmosphere, one of Los Angeles’ many yacht clubs will be able to provide the experience you’re looking for.
Yacht clubs around Los Angeles’ have access to beautiful scenery and picturesque waters.
These clubs take full advantage of their views with elegant clubhouses filled with fine dining, social events, and amenities.
Was this article helpful?
Did you find wrong information or was something missing?
Shelby Sullivan is our specialist when it comes to pontoon boats and recreational watercraft. She is often found sailing the freshwater lakes of Michigan. She is also a light-traveler who enjoys camping and traveling the world. Read more about Shelby here.