If you’re considering a Dutchmen towable motorhome, it’s important to know as much as you can about the company and its RVs.
That’s why we summarized nine key facts we think you should know about Dutchmen before making a decision:
Here’s an Interesting Fact About Dutchman RVs:
According to the Dutchmen company website, only those motorhomes that come with a ladder leading up to the roof have walkable roofs. They also say to note the weight restrictions for the walkable roof as too many people on it at once can cause structural damage as well as present a safety risk.
1. Where Are Dutchmen RVs Made?
The Dutchmen RV company manufactures their range of towable motorhomes at their manufacturing plant in Goshen, Indiana, in America.
2. Who Owns the Dutchmen Company?
In 1988 the Dutchmen motorhome company was founded by Dave Hoefer, Larry Schrock, and Glen Sylvester.
The company began as an RV manufacturer specializing in entry-level towables that were competitively priced for the industry.
With the quality offered and the affordable price range, the company quickly attained a large retail market share. The company by 1990 became the second-largest manufacturer of fifth wheels and travel trailers in the whole of America.
In 1991 the Dutchmen motorhome manufacturer was purchased by Thor Industries.
The company has remained a subsidiary of Thor Industries ever since they acquired Dutchmen.
3. What Types and Sizes of RVs Do Dutchmen Produce?
The popular Dutchmen motorhome company produces fifth wheels, travel trailers, and toy haulers.
We will take a look at a few of the brands they offer in each category:
Toy Hauler: Coleman Lantern 242BH
Toy haulers are a great addition to those who like to take their outdoor equipment with them when they travel.
Over the years, Dutchmen has put a lot of thought into the various toy haulers they offer.
The Coleman Lantern 242BH is lightweight at under 6,000 pounds, and it can sleep between 4 and 6 people, which makes it ideal for large families and groups of friends.
With a length of 28 feet and 11 inches, this toy hauler has adequate garage space for all your outdoor activity items and a gorgeous indoor living area. The interior theme is done in shades of white, dark wood, and grey tone accents.
The kitchen has beautiful white countertops with a marble effect and a large sink for convenience. There are also modern appliances such as a fridge, stove, and microwave.
The master bedroom has a lovely large bedroom with a queen-sized bed and side tables, and overhead cabinetry. Additionally, the second bedroom comes with two bunk beds and is private with a lockable bedroom door.
The lounge is very spacious with a comfortable three-seater sofa couch and a u-shaped dinette with leather cushioned seating. Moreover, this toy hauler also has numerous compartment storage areas and a bathroom.
Travel Trailer: Kodiak Ultimate 2921FKDS
If you’re looking for a travel trailer that is spacious, elegant, and well thought out, then the Kodiak Ultimate 2921FKDS might be the ideal choice for you.
This travel trailer is built to industry standards and comes in a length of 33 feet and 7 inches with a gross weight of 6,502 pounds.
Additionally, the Kodiak Ultimate can sleep 3 to 4 people.
This motorhome theme is shades of brown, white, and nude with an ambient cool tone feel; the travel trailer inspires peace and tranquility. Inside the living area, you will find that the lounge kitchen and dining room are all open plan, with each section fits seamlessly with the next.
The motorhome kitchen features a center island with sink and countertop space as there are more cupboards and countertop adjacent and across from the center island.
There is a fridge, microwave, and three-burner stove, as well as ample lighting. Across from the compact kitchen is a small dining room, and next to the kitchen is a comfortable living room with recliners, a television, and a fireplace.
The bedroom has a large bed for two and a shelf to store all your accessories and everyday items.
This unit also comes with a moderate-sized bathroom that houses a corner shower, toilet, and wash hand basin with a mirror.
Fifth Wheel: Voltage 3615
Fifth wheels are the best motorhome options for those looking for the RV experience while towing their motorhome and storing goods inside it.
The Voltage 3615 is a somewhat spacious floorplan measuring 38 feet and 11 inches, but it is heavier than some toy haulers and travel trailers with a gross weight of 14,092 pounds. However, the Voltage 3615 can sleep 5 to 7 people with space for outdoor equipment.
Inside the Voltage, the decor theme is rustic elegance with modern accents and appliances.
The living area is designed compactly, but there is more than enough walking room to easily and freely live amongst friends and family. The kitchen has a residential-sized stainless steel fridge, a microwave, and a three burner gas stove.
Although not numerous, the countertops provide ample room to prepare meals, and there is also a center island with a sink and faucet. Throughout the entire kitchen is also plenty of cupboard space for all cutlery and crockery.
The bedroom offers a king-sized bed with wooden cabinetry surrounding it and a standalone wardrobe with side tables.
Additionally, this unit comes with a gorgeous cargo area that leads out onto an outside enclosed porch. The cargo area has plenty of seating, a table, and a television.
4. Does Dutchmen Make a Toy Hauler?
Yes, the Dutchmen motorhome company does indeed manufacture toy haulers.
They have a few specific brands that they produce:
5. What Are The Smallest RVs from Dutchmen?
As the company only produces tow-ables, there are several smaller RV types that they manufacture.
Smaller motorhomes are perfect for those solo travels or casual experiences.
They are also ideal for entering into the RV arena without having much experience concerning motorhomes and RV camping or living.
- Toy Hauler: Voltage 3615 – One of the smallest luxury fifth wheel toy haulers by Dutchmen is the Voltage 3615, which has a length of 38 feet and 11 inches and a sleeping capacity of between 5 to 7 people.
- Travel Trailer: Aspen Trail 17BH – One of the smallest travel trailers by the brand Dutchmen is their Aspen Trail 17BH, which measures 21 feet and 5 inches with a sleeping capacity of 2 to 4 people.
- Fifth Wheel: Atlas 2502REF – A fairly small fifth wheel by the brand is the Atlas 2502REF, which measures 29 feet and 11 inches with a sleeping capacity of two people.
6. What Are the Biggest RVs from Dutchmen?
Despite only producing towable motorhomes, the Dutchmen RV company does manufacture a few larger models.
Larger models are convenient to have if you frequently travel or live with friends and family.
- Toy Hauler: Coleman Lantern 337BH – This toy hauler has a length of 37 feet and 11 inches and a sleeping accommodation capacity of up to 10 people.
- Travel Trailer: Kodiak Ultimate 3321BHSL – The longest travel trailer by Dutchmen with one of the highest sleeping capacity is the 3321BHSL model. With a length of 37 feet and 3 inches and a sleeping capacity of 10 people.
- Fifth Wheel: Yukon 421FL – The largest fifth wheel by the brand is their Yukon 421 FL, which has a length of 45 feet and 8 inches and can sleep up to 6 people.
7. How Are Dutchmen RVs Made?
Depending on the type of motorhome you purchase from Dutchmen, your motorhome will have a slightly different construction method.
Let’s look at the varying construction methods between a travel trailer and a fifth wheel made by Dutchmen:
Travel Trailer Construction:
- Roof Construction: Dutchmen make incredibly durable roof structures for their travel trailers. They utilize 3/8 inch decking, lauan interior paneling, and superior fiberglass insulation.
- Structural Insulation: The company uses metal for their exterior paneling on their travel trailers and lauan interior paneling for the inside of the walls. Additionally, they use wood framing that carries an R7 thermal rating for insulation.
- Cooling: Dutchmen make use of superior airconditioning cooling technology for their travel trailers.
Fifth Wheel Construction:
- Roof Construction: As with the travel trailer, the company uses lauan interior paneling, fiberglass insulation, and a 3/8 inch decking but where it differs is that the fifth wheels use a TPO roof.
- Slide Out Technology: Dutchmen’s slide-out technology and design are one of the best in the industry.
- They have designed each slide out to have a seamless slideout roof construction and an aluminum header.
- Moreover, there are bulb seals, reinforced construction throughout, and rain channels.
- Front Caps: On each fifth wheel, the company has insulated and reinforced each front cap with a lauan interior panel, fiberglass material for the front cap, and an aluminum frame and fiberglass insulation within the design.
- Walling: On the fifth wheel models, the company has opted to do laminated walls.
- The exterior panel has been made with fiberglass, with the backing done with lauan.
- Additionally, the walling has an aluminum frame with block foam insulation.
- Decking: Perhaps what’s most different with the construction methods is the hyper deck floor construction.
- The flooring is made up of linoleum, fiberglass reinforced polypropylene, a high-density foam core.
- The flooring also consists of a foil barrier, fully enclosed underbelly, fiberglass-reinforced thermoplastic, and a steel powder-coated mainframe.
8. What Are The Most Popular RVs by Dutchmen?
With the company operating for many years in the RV industry, they have a few popular models.
Below we have found three famed models that many people opt for:
- Travel Trailer: Endurance 3506
- Fifth Wheel: Astoria Platinum 3173RLP
- Toy Hauler: Aspen Trail 1900RB
9. Are Dutchmen RVs For All Four Seasons?
When deciding which four-season RV to purchase, it’s important first to decide your motorhome’s purpose.
You will need to examine why you want the RV and if you will be using it for casual trips, long stay vacations, or full-time RV living.
Quite a few Dutchmen RVs can be utilized during all four seasons for living or traveling.
One of the best four-season motorhomes you can purchase from Dutchmen is their Aspen Trail travel trailer models.
Aspen Trail 1600RB And 1700BH Travel Trailer Floorplans:
Those looking for a lightweight travel trailer under 6,000 pounds and easily towable should consider this four-season model.
The Aspen Trail models, particularly the 1600Rb and 1700BH floorplans, are specifically designed and manufactured to be utilized during all four seasons.
These models usually sleep between 3 to 10 people, and the 36 different floorplans come in a range of sizes from 21 feet to 39 feet, so there is bound to be a model to suit our budget and needs.
These models come with a heated underbelly, high output furnace, and plenty of windows. With the heating features, you’re sure to have a toasty indoor environment when out traveling in colder climates, and the many windows will allow cool breezes during summertime weather.
Additionally, these models have some incredible luxury features that attribute to their four-season credibility.
Inside each unit is an Aspen trail command center that is easy to interact with and operate.
Moreover, the units feature evergreen mattresses, skylights in the bathroom, and plenty of other add-on options to enhance your experience.
Morten is the founder of GoDownsize. He has filmed and interviewed people living in tiny houses and RVs since 2011. He grew up on the coast where his dad took him boating from a young age. He has completely rebuilt two RVs in which he travels with his family for months at the time. Read more about Morten here.